::leather handbag

2.07.2008

all cut out

Tuesday night I drafted a pattern while watching The Thin Man. It wasn't too difficult. I had a purse that I used as a guide, though it was easier to just wing it rather than try to trace off the purse. Plus I wanted to make it slightly larger than the original.

partially finished

Wednesday I cut it out and then last night I began sewing it. So far, so good. We'll see how it turns out. The fabric is leather (my sister gave me a bag of left over pieces of leather she didn't want to use from her book making). The lining is a striped linen I've had forever. Yay, new handbag! I think the handle is about to come off of my old one...

8 comments :

  1. Very neat :) What kind of sewing machine do you use to sew it?? I was just curious. I have never sewn leather. We have a leather sewing machine in lab, but I'm scared to try it.

    Have a good day lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a Husqvarna Viking. I've had it for about five years and never had to take it in for anything. I bought it used at Westside Sewing here in town. It's my little workhorse. And my baby. :)

    Thanks! You too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks cute so far - can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that you have a sewing machine called "husqvarna viking."

    and that looks laike a sweet bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow!! You are so brave! hehe. ;) I've got a leather pelt I bought ages ago (back when I was costuming), and have been eying for a bag or belt, or something! So I'll be watching for a progress report with much interest!

    I love the pattern that you drafted... You are so talented!!

    Oh, and btw: are you using a special needle and thread to stitch the leather?

    Good luck and I can't wait to see the finished bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable bag, Anna! Best of luck with it! I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gasp! I'm impressed. The bag looks like it's coming along gorgeously. Can't wait to see the final reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to see the finished bag.. Like Show & Tell time. Hope you sell the pattern as I want one. I have 3 Leather coats N jacket to recycle.

    ReplyDelete